Sunday, January 1, 2012

Canora Guitar


For the last few weeks, after viewing a video of Edmonton singer-songwriter Michael Rault playing on a old mail-order catalogue guitar (Stella, Harmony, Silvertone... one of them), I have been looking for a cheap guitar. I once owned two guitars but sold them to keep the family larder full.




I found the Canora at Value Village ($43 tax included).

The Canora Guitar is a Canadian guitar brand of the mid- to late- 1960s. According to Eugene Trademan, who was in charge of musical imports for Great West Imports of Vancouver, the brand came about when the company's electronics buyer, Dave Willis, returned from a trip to Japan.


Willis had news for Trademan. Trademan could expect a shipment of 2000 guitars from the Ida Gakki factory in Nagoya, Japan.

It was one of the companies that made Ibanez guitars.

Willis needed a name for the line of guitars. He asked Trademan what was his hometown. Trademan said, "Canora, Saskatchewan."

Canora is one of those mystery brands. Only a few thousand of these guitars emerged out of Japan and possibly from Korea. Later on, according to Trademen, the line of guitars switched to the more common Raven brand. There are scant references to them and very few images.

The guitar here was originally a fixed bridge model. The guitar top had settled into a pronounced bulge below the bridge and a caving in of above the bridge.

Reaching into the body, I found ladder bracing typical in this type of instrument.

The repair technicians at Rufus Guitars discouraged me from making them repair it. I could easily buy a very pretty Suzuki Model No. 9 (nylon strings AND a pickguard) for less than it would cost to repair.

In short, they pretty much had no time for the Canora. I also felt they had no time to discuss the finer points of guitar repair with a person who would fall in with a crap guitar. I had fallen on the wrong side of the us (keepers of the guitar flame) and the thems (those who diddle on guitars and then leave them to languish in the corner of a basement or those who wish to learn enough chords to play Lady Gaga or Black Eyed Peas tunes).

I felt a wall was being thrown up between the technicians and I. And I still needed their help.

Music was playing in the background. Guitar music. Beautiful music and I knew what it was.

I said, "It must be nice to listen to Joe Pass while you're working" (From his Virtuoso album).

I had said the right magic words. Chuck, one of them was Chuck, said, "French CBC has some of the best music."

I resisted the urge to tell them, I once worked for the Mother Corp - any how it wasn't needed. Joe Pass had opened the door. His name, me knowing it, meant I listened to guitar, maybe even knew how to play it well. I was not them, or at least, not completely them. Joe Pass let Chuck know I was a little bit of us.

Chuck put down the wet banjo skin he was tugging on, " Let me see it." He groped around on the inside. "Ladder bracing."

"Yeah, I was wondering if it should be nylon strings."

"No. It's steel." Then Chuck began to rummage on his work bench. He showed me a fancy tailpiece for an archtop guitar but it was too long. But he kept on digging. He kept on saying, "I have a Dobro tailpiece. You can have it." ($28)

He yanked it out from under a white plastic bag. "Knock off the old bridge with a chisel and try it."

With the tailpiece, I bought a bridge which the strings would arch over ($10).

When I got home, I realized I didn't have a chisel. So I tried a knife and ended up gouging a part of the guitar top. I wasn't really well-equiped to take on the project. But then I remembered what the sales clerk said at the shop - somewhere in our point of sale chit chat he assumed I was going to plane down the faulty bridge. And why not? I own a plane.

So there on the living room rug, with Melissa trying not to lose her temper, I began to plane down the rosewood bridge. I worried immensely about harming the top anymore than I already had. It worked.

I shaved the bridge  down and attached the Dobro-styled tailpiece. The saddle Rufus sold me stood too high and I hadn't the heart to mutilate the new saddle with vigourous sanding. Instead, I used the original floating metal saddle. With its two flat-tipped screws, I could adjust the height.

The instrument is actually quite playable. The neck hasn't suffered any bowing and the action has been set quite low without fear of buzzing. The intonation is surprising in fact.

The back has a loose brace and is pulling from the sides but it doesn't effect its playability.


29 comments:

Cory said...

I have been looking for information on my canora A-480 but havent had much luck. Mine is in perfect shape and has mapel leafs around the sticker inside the guitar. Have you found much on these guitars yet? I know they are canadian made in the 60's but thats all. I wonder what it is worth? I collect guitars and would like more info on it. When i set them up i would like to frame their history with each one. I only have 15 so far but still looking. I found a Hagstrum and paid nothing for it just to find out it is worth 15 hundred. Nice find for sure.

JJ Lee said...

Hi Cory thanks for your comment. Note, it is a Made in Japan guitar. The distributors and the name are Canadian. The Canora brand eventually morphed in the Raven guitar.

Unknown said...

I was wondering, my grandparents neighbour gave them a Canora A-500B special made classical guitar, is it worth anything or should I just keep it for myself?

Bree Sonia said...

Hi Guys,

I Picked up a Canora Accoustic Classical Guitar Model Number SCH 510 Korean model, any idea where i would find some info ? it still plays very nice cheers LOZ

Unknown said...

Anyone ever find any info out on vintage Canora's Acoustic?

Unknown said...

i own a canora was my uncles he past away and my aunt put it away at the famly cottage in 1992 i showed up saw a gutair behind the dresser took it out it was missing the high E string but i tuned her up and started playing the following summer i came back and some one bought some strings so i restringed her and pulled it out at the famlie reunion my aunt started to cry we asked what was rong she said she had not heard the gutair play since he passed... ten years later we sold the cottage she asked if i wanted the gutair i said sure... i dont play her as much now but shes a good gutair

Miss Miao said...

I have my aunt's old Canora from when she was a folk singer in the early seventies. And I've just been offered an electric bass guitar (also a Canora) missing the electrics. I knew nothing about the label. So nice to find some fans.

Unknown said...

My first guitar was a Canora a500b classical, my mother bought it for me new when I started guitar lessons at 8 years old! About 1970. A few years ago I found it collecting dust in storage, so I put new tuning pegs and strings on it. These days I play it every day without letup. It has become a part of me for sure. Nice to find this blog for sure!!!

Unknown said...

I have a Canora A701 acoustic guitar. Was wondering what it is worth

Unknown said...

I have a Canora electric bass. 1960s Fender Jazz copy. Bought in op shop for $50 . It plays great and sounds great.

Unknown said...

I have a Canora electric bass. 1960s Fender Jazz copy. Bought in op shop for $50 . It plays great and sounds great.

Unknown said...

I have a Canora electric bass. 1960s Fender Jazz copy. Bought in op shop for $50 . It plays great and sounds great.

Unknown said...

I have a Canora electric bass. 1960s Fender Jazz copy. Bought in op shop for $50 . It plays great and sounds great.

JJ Lee said...

Post a pic or send it to me via gmail to vancouverbydesign and I'll post it on my site. $50 bass, yeah!

JJ Lee said...

I suspect the folks behind Canora (Roland's rep in Canada back in the day) brought all sorts of guitars of varying quality. My Canora is plywood box and doesn't really better with age like those legendary early 70s Yamahas. But I still dig it. If you ever feel the need to share what your's looks like let me know. I'll post it.

Unknown said...

I have a rare, vintage (1960's) electric 6 string Canora, that sounds like the '60s, I was very happy to hear that sound , I hear they were made in Japan for the Australian market. I guess it is not related to the acoustic version? does anyone know? I see lots of acoustic Canoras and bass Canoras but none like mine...where are they ?
www.arlettemusic.com

mirek krejci said...

i have a canora that seems to be a flamingo guitar? maybe not. First time i say it was,id be thinking 1967 and i got it at 15 (1972). Its signed on the inside with what looks like spanish but the neck seems to be made in japan. the model number is 553. Its the best nylon string guitar ive ever heard. when people hear it they comment.

JJ Lee said...

Mirek, You may have a miracle guitar then.I'm pretty certain it would be plywood but a good sounding guitar is a good sounding guitar. At least, it won't warp. I can't recall if the Ida Gakki factory made solid wood guitars (wait Wiki says it does). But who knows? No matter how it sounds, the name on the guitar effects the value. Of course, I don't care about that myself. Long as its played and loved (in each our own way). Thanks for your note. JJ

CE & SONS said...

Hi folks, just picked up a Canora Classical guitar! No idea what year or model# as the sticker inside is missing! Would there be any type of stamp inside to find this info out?
Bridge is lifting and I'm in the process of trying to remove it, any suggestions!! HELP, please....

Unknown said...

Suggestions on your bridge, Calvert, go to a guitar technician! I was at the guitar shop here in New West today to get a strap pin put onto the base of the neck. The shop owner Neil Douglas knew quite a bit about these guitars. Mine is also a Canora and I had the bridge replaced years ago. Currently the pickguard is lifting, but it plays okay. I need to get a decent guitar though.

Mine was $11 at Valu Village, but it might have been a few more years ago than you got yours!

CE & SONS said...

Have you got any pictures of it? Been looking at mine very close and it appears to have been put together with a hot glue gun on all the seems! How about yours? I did get the bridge off and made a hell of a mees, now I have to glue in some pieces and build it up with home made wood glue and then sand it down flat before re-installing it!

Unknown said...

I have a 1970s canora hummingbird feels light sounds amazing bought it off first owner few years ago for $350 aus

Unknown said...

@TevitaVakata Hummingbird? I'd like to see it and what gives it that name. Perhaps copying the style of the famous Gibson, or not? So curious now and google not helping. @Calvert - who were you asking for pictures, me?

CE & SONS said...

Yes, Marsh you mentioned having one before!
What is on this page is all I've ever found out about the guitars!
I did get the one I had put back together and she sounded great with the nylon strings!
I then donated it to Guitars For Vets Canada, here in Halifax!

Unknown said...

Your' s seems like mine....
I have a canora classical Guitar model no is 154.
The bridge is fixed with screws and is super tough to get it out.

Mine was made in 1954-55

Unknown said...

Does anyone know what year the F-150 acoustic was made, also any idea what it might be worth?

Ferret said...

Canora guitars were extensively available in Australia in the 60s as an entry level instrument, both acoustic and electric. Since Japanese guitars would not have been imported into Australia via Canada, this must cast serious doubt on the origin story in this article. Furthermore, they were not rare in Australia but alarmingly common. I owned two in the mid 60s before I went on to better.

Unknown said...

Bit of a dead topic.
I have a 1960s Electric Les Paul copy Canora with dual Hummbuckers and id love to post a picture somewhere for others who are struggling to find it.
It weighs in at 5.8kg with a solid hard wood body, and the neck is also some sort of nice looking wood.
The guitar was originally finished with black and cream scratch plate and dials, and unfoetunately is being refinished with new chinese crap instead of a donor canora guitar.

JJ Lee said...

Hey Nightmare: it's kinda of ghost towny. Been busy.
The Canora is interesting as it may be Taiwanese crap, so maybe not PRC Chinese but Chinese nevertheless.

It sounds like a beast. Hope the project goes well.jj